The 559th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 05.09.2023.
Russian troops’ attacks on the civilian infrastructure in Ukraine
During the day, the Russian army conducted 32 aviation strikes and carried out 39 rocket fire attacks using fire systems on the positions of Ukrainian soldiers and populated areas. Unfortunately, due to Russian terrorist attacks, there are casualties and injuries among the civilian population. Residential buildings and other civilian infrastructure have been damaged.
The likelihood of missile and aviation strikes across the entire territory of Ukraine remains high.
Throughout the day, there were more than 20 clashes between opposing forces.
List of the Russian Federation’s attacks on the Ukrainian territory
Map provided by the Institute for the Study of War
- In the Volyn and Polissya directions, the operational situation remains relatively unchanged.
- In the Siversk and Slobozhansk directions, the Russian army carried out aviation strikes in the areas of Sydorivka in the Sumy region and Udy and Veterynarne in the Kharkiv region. It also conducted mortar and artillery shelling on over 15 populated areas, including Klyusy, Karpovychi in Chernihiv region, Znob-Novhorodske, Romashkove, Buhor, Vorozhba, Veselivka, Popivka in Sumy region, and Udy, Strilecha, Ohirtseve, Vovchansk, Nesterne, Chorne in the Kharkiv region.
- In the Kupiansk direction, the Russian army continues to carry out artillery and mortar shelling on populated areas, including Masiutivka, Kucherivka, Kyslivka, Berestove, and Kovalivka in the Kharkiv region.
- In the Lyman direction, Russian troops conducted unsuccessful offensive actions in the area of Novoyehorivka in the Luhansk region. They carried out aviation strikes in the areas of Bilohorivka in the Luhansk region, Torske, Siverske, and Spirne in the Donetsk region. The Russian army continues to carry out artillery and mortar shelling on populated areas, including Nevske, Bilohorivka in the Luhansk region, and Torske, Dibrova, Verkhniokamianske, and Spirne in the Donetsk region.
- In the Bakhmut direction, Ukrainian military successfully repelled attacks by Russian troops north of Klishchiivka in the Donetsk region. Russian artillery shelling affected more than 10 populated areas, including Fedorivka Druha, Tykhonivka, Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Bohdanivka, Ivanivske, and Kostiantynivka in the Donetsk region.
- In the Avdiivka direction, the Russian army shelled populated areas including Oleksandropil, Keramik, Stepove, Avdiivka, Severne, and Nevelske in the Donetsk region with artillery and mortars.
- In the Marinka direction, the Ukrainian Armed Forces continue to hold back the Russian military advance in the area of Marinka in the Donetsk region. The Russian army carried out an aviation strike in the area of Krasnohorivka. Artillery shelling affected populated areas including Krasnohorivka, Georgiivka, Pobeda, Katerynivka, and Veselyi Hai in the Donetsk region.
- In the Shakhtarsk direction, the Russian army conducted aviation strikes in the areas of Vuhledar and Staromaiorske. More than 10 populated areas, including Vodianne, Novoukrainka, Shakhtarske, Urozhaine, Fedorivka, and Shevchenko in the Donetsk region, experienced Russian artillery shelling.
- In the Zaporizhzhia direction, Russian troops conducted aviation strikes in the areas of Mala Tokmachka, Robotyne, and Orikhiv in the Zaporizhzhia region. More than 10 populated areas, including Velykomykhailivka, Nikopol, Dobra Nadiia in the Dnipropetrovsk region, Novodarivka, Malynivka, Zatyshshia, Novoandriivka, Stepove, and Kamianske in the Zaporizhzhia region, experienced Russian artillery shelling.
- In the Kherson direction, the Russian army conducted an aviation strike in the area of Mykhailivka. More than 10 populated areas, including Zolota Balka, Respublikanets, Odradokamianka, Olhivka, Tokarivka, and Sonachne in the Kherson region, experienced Russian artillery shelling.
The Ukrainian troops’ strikes on Russian equipment
Meanwhile, the Ukrainian Armed Forces continue their offensive operation in the Melitopol direction, consolidating their positions at achieved boundaries and conducting counter-battery measures.
During the day, the aviation of the Ukrainian Armed Forces conducted 11 strikes on areas of personnel, equipment, and military vehicles concentration, as well as 2 strikes on Russian anti-aircraft missile systems.
Rocket and artillery units throughout the day targeted 1 area of personnel, equipment, and military vehicles concentration, neutralized 12 artillery units in firing positions, and destroyed 1 Russian ammunition depot.