The 566th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 12.09.2023.
Russia’s attacks on the civilian infrastructure in Ukraine
The Russian army continues to disregard the laws and customs of war, employing terror tactics and conducting shelling of both military and civilian objects. Unfortunately, this has resulted in casualties and injuries among the civilian population, as well as the destruction of residential buildings and other infrastructure.
Over the course of the day, more than 20 combat clashes took place. In total, Russian soldiers delivered 3 missile strikes and 25 airstrikes, along with 36 shelling attacks from multiple rocket launchers on Ukrainian troops’ positions and populated areas.
The operational situation in the east and south of Ukraine remains complex.
Where Russia has recently attacked Ukrainian territory
Map provided by the Institute for the Study of War
- In the Volyn and Polissya directions, the operational situation remains unchanged.
- In the Siversk and Slobozhansk directions, the Russian army carried out airstrikes in the areas of Popivka, Stepok, Myropillya, and Hrabovske in the Sumy region. Artillery and mortar fire affected over 20 populated areas, including Hremiach, Kamin in the Chernihiv region, Stepne, Popivka, Hrabovske, Velyka Pysarivka in the Sumy region, and Kozacha Lopan, Hatyshche, Vovchansk, Vovchanski Khutory, Odradne in the Kharkiv region.
- In the Kupiansk direction, the Russian army conducted an aviation strike in the vicinity of Kyslivka, Kharkiv region. Artillery and mortar shelling affected the populated areas of Dvorichna, Berestove, Synkivka, and Kyslivka in the Kharkiv region.
- In the Lyman direction, Nadia and Dibrova in the Luhansk region and Spirne in the Donetsk region were struck by aviation attacks. More than 10 populated areas, including Bilohorivka in the Luhansk region and Verkhniokamianske and Spirne in the Donetsk region, were subjected to Russian artillery and mortar fire.
- In the Bakhmut direction, the Armed Forces of Ukraine successfully held back the Russian army in the area of Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Donetsk region. Aviation strikes hit Klishchiivka and Pivnichne in the Donetsk region. Over 10 populated areas, including Ivanivske, Klishchiivka, Andriivka, and New York in the Donetsk region, came under artillery and mortar fire from the Russian army.
- In the Avdiivka direction, Ukrainian military successfully repelled about 10 Russian attacks in the vicinity of Avdiivka, Donetsk region. Artillery and mortar shelling targeted Novokalynove, Stepove, Avdiivka, Siverne, and Tonenke in the Donetsk region.
- In the Marinka direction, Ukrainian troops repelled 10 Russian attacks in the Marinka area throughout the day. Artillery and mortar fire from the Russian army affected approximately 10 populated areas, including Krasnohorivka, Marinka, Heorhiivka, Pobeda, and Novomykhailivka in the Donetsk region.
- In the Shakhtarsk direction, all Russian attacks in the Novomykhailivka area were successfully repelled. Artillery and mortar shelling hit approximately 10 populated areas, including Vuhledar, Prechystivka, Zolota Nyva, and Urozhaine in the Donetsk region.
- In the Zaporizhzhia direction, Ukrainian troops repelled Russian attacks south of Novodarivka in the Zaporizhzhia region. The Russian army conducted an aviation strike near Robotyne in the Zaporizhzhia region. Artillery and mortar fire affected 15 populated areas, including Malynivka, Chervone, Huliaypole, Charyvne, Robotyne, and Kamianske in the Zaporizhzhia region.
- In the Kherson direction, the Russian army carried out an aviation strike in the area of Odradokamianka, Kherson region. Artillery and mortar shelling targeted Antonivka, Kherson, and Bilozirka in the Kherson region.
Meanwhile, the Ukrainian Armed Forces continue their offensive operation in the Melitopol direction, conducting assault actions in the Bakhmut direction, destroying the Russian army, and gradually liberating the occupied territories. As a result of these assault actions, the Ukrainian Armed Forces have achieved partial success in the areas of Klishchiivka in the Donetsk region and Robotyne in the Zaporizhzhia region. They have pushed the Russian army out of their positions and consolidated their gains.
During the day, the aviation units of the Ukrainian Armed Forces carried out 8 strikes on areas where Russian personnel and military equipment were concentrated.
Units of the missile forces have successfully targeted 2 artillery pieces, 1 ammunition depot, 1 command post, and 1 Russian anti-aircraft missile complex.