The 455th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 24.05.2023.
Russian army’s attacks on civilian infrastructure
The Russian Federation, at the cost of great losses, continues its aggressive war. Within a day, Russian troops conducted 17 aviation strikes and carried out approximately 20 rocket artillery shelling on the positions of Ukrainian soldiers and civilian areas.
The likelihood of missile and aerial strikes throughout the territory of Ukraine remains high.
The Russian army continues to concentrate its main efforts on the Kupiansk, Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, and Marinka directions. Overall, within a day, there were 23 combat clashes in the mentioned sectors of the front.
All maps provided by War Mapper
Operational situation on Ukrainian directions
- On the Volyn and Polissia directions, the operational situation remains unchanged, with no significant signs of Russian formations detected. Designated units of the armed forces of the Republic of Belarus continue to carry out tasks in border areas with Ukraine.
- On the Siversk and Slobozhansk directions, the Russian army continues to maintain a military presence in border areas with Ukraine. During the day, it conducted mortar and artillery shelling on the settlements of Yanzhulivka in the Chernihiv Oblast, Bunyakyne, Shpyl, Oleksiivka in the Sumy Oblast, as well as Udy, Veterynarne, Lyptsi, Zelene, Ohirtseve, Hatysche, Vovchansk, Budarky, Zemlyanky in the Kharkiv Oblast.
- On the Kupiansk direction, the Russian army does not cease attempts to improve its tactical position. During the day, Russian soldiers conducted unsuccessful offensive actions in the area of Masyutivka. Artillery and mortar shelling was recorded in Stroyivka, Kamianka, Krasne Pershe, Ridkodub, Dvorichna, Zapadne, Tabayivka, Berestove in the Kharkiv Oblast, and Stelmakhivka in the Luhansk Oblast.
- On the Lyman direction, Russian military did not conduct any offensive actions during the day. Russian troops carried out an airstrike in the area of the settlement of Dibrova. Artillery shelling was experienced by Nevske, Bilohorivka in the Luhansk Oblast, Torske, and Spirne in the Donetsk Oblast.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the Russian army conducted unsuccessful offensive actions towards the settlement of Ivanivske during the day. It carried out an airstrike in the area of the settlement of Bila Hora. Vasiukivka, Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Markove, Hryhorivka, Bahmut, Ivanivske, Stupochky, Kostiantynivka, Bila Hora, Toretsk, Pivnichne, Pivdene, and New-York in the Donetsk Oblast were affected by Russian shelling.
- On the Avdiivka direction, Russian soldiers conducted unsuccessful offensive actions towards the settlements of Novokalynove and Avdiivka. They carried out airstrikes in the areas of Novokalynove and Stepove. They also conducted artillery shelling on the settlements of Novokalynove, Avdiivka, Karlivka, Pervomaiske, and Netaylove in the Donetsk Oblast.
- On the Marinka direction, the Ukrainian Armed Forces repelled numerous Russian attacks in the area of the city of Marinka. At the same time, Russian shelling affected Krasnohorivka, Maiinka, Novomykhailivka, and Pobeda in the Donetsk Oblast.
- On the Shakhtarsk direction, Russian military conducted shelling on the settlements of Vodyane, Vuhledar, and Velyka Novosilka.
- On the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions, the Russian army continues defensive actions. It conducted shelling on the settlements of Vremivka, Novosilka in the Donetsk Oblast, Olhivske, Malynivka, Huliaypole, Huliaypilske, Novoselivka, Omelnyk, Bilohirya, Mala Tokmachka, Kamianske in the Zaporizhzhia Oblast, Velytenske in the Kherson Oblast, and the city of Kherson.
Ukrainian aviation and artillery response
The aviation of Armed Forces of Ukraine carried out 7 strikes on Russian personnel and military equipment concentration areas during the day.
During this day, Ukrainian troops destroyed 2 Russian attack UAVs of the “Shahed” type and 1 reconnaissance UAV of the “Orlan-10” type.
Missile troops and artillery units struck 2 Russian personnel concentration areas, 4 ammunition depots, a radio-electronic warfare station, 4 artillery units in firing positions, and 4 other important Russian targets.
Source: The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
See also: General Staff operational report May 23, 2023 on the Russian invasion of Ukraine