The 447th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 16.05.2023.
During this day, the Russian Federation carried out another massive missile strike on civilian and critical infrastructure objects in Ukraine. The Russian aggressor cynically continues to employ tactics of terror.
Throughout the day, the Russian army carried out 27 missile and 37 aviation strikes, conducted approximately 20 artillery shelling from multiple rocket launcher systems on Ukrainian troops’ positions and populated areas. According to updated information, Russian military used 6 air-launched ballistic missiles Kynjal, 9 cruise missiles Kalibr, and 10 ground-based missiles (S-400, Iskander-M) to carry out the missile strikes, all of which were destroyed by Ukrainian troops. Russian troops also launched 2 missiles from the S-300 on the civilian infrastructure of Kostiantynivka in the Donetsk region.
Civilian infrastructure suffered destruction. In particular, as a result of the shelling of the populated areas of Dvorichna, Vovchansk, and Tyshchenkivka in the Kharkiv region, there are civilian casualties and injuries, private residential houses have been destroyed, as well as hospitals and other civilian infrastructure.
The Russian army continues to concentrate its main efforts on the Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, and Marinka directions. During the day, there were 44 military clashes in the mentioned sectors of the front. Bakhmut and Marinka remain at the center of the combat actions.
All maps provided by War Mapper
- No signs of Russian offensive formations have been detected on the Volyn and Polissia directions. Identified units of the armed forces of the Republic of Belarus continue to carry out tasks in the border areas with Ukraine. The movement of units of the Russian territorial forces, which underwent training at Belarusian training grounds, towards the areas of hostilities, is ongoing.
- On the Siversk and Slobozhansk directions, the Russian army continues to maintain military presence in the border areas with Ukraine. It conducted mortar and artillery shelling of populated areas in Muravyi, Chernihiv region; Romashkove, Iskryskivshchyna, Volfyne, Kyndrativka, Sadky, Zapsillia, Sumy region; as well as Kozacha Lopan, Hoptivka, Lukyantsi, Hatysche, Pletenivka, Budarky, Nesterne, Kruhle, Zemlianky, Starytsia, and Budarky in the Kharkiv region.
- On the Kupiansk direction, Russian soldiers carried out unsuccessful offensive actions in the areas of Masyutivka, Kharkiv region, and Novoselivka and Stelmakhivka, Luhansk region. They conducted airstrikes near the populated areas of Budarky, Vilshana, Kyslivka, Kotliarivka, and Tabaivka in the Kharkiv region. Russian artillery and mortar fire targeted Dvorichanske, Kamyanka, Krasne Pershe, Fiholivka, Novomlynsk, Dvorichna, Masyutivka, Kyndrashivka, Kupiansk, Kyslivka, Tabaivka, Berestove in the Kharkiv region, and Stelmakhivka in the Luhansk region.
- On the Lyman direction, Russian military conducted offensive actions in the area of Bilohorivka, Luhansk region, during the day. Russian troops carried out airstrikes in the areas of Bilohorivka in the Luhansk region and Spirne, Siversk, and Chervone in the Donetsk region. The towns of Makiyivka, Nevske, and Bilohorivka in the Luhansk region, as well as Verkhniokamianske, Torske, and Spirne in the Donetsk region, were subjected to artillery shelling.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the Russian army continues to conduct offensive actions. Fierce battles for Bakhmut are ongoing. Moreover, during the day, Russian troops conducted unsuccessful offensive actions towards the settlement of Ivanivske. They carried out airstrikes in the areas of Bohdanivka, Bakhmut, Ivanivske, and Toretsk in the Donetsk region. Grigoryivka, Bohdanivka, Bakhmut, Ivanivske, Chasiv Yar, Stupochky, Pivnichne, and Toretsk in the Donetsk region suffered from Russian artillery shelling.
- On the Avdiivka direction, the Russian army continues to destroy the infrastructure of populated areas, conducting airstrikes on Avdiivka and Vodiane, and shelling the towns of Novokalynove, Berdychiv, Stepove, Avdiivka, Pervomaiske, Nevelske, and Karlivka in the Donetsk region.
- On the Marinka direction, Ukrainian defense units repelled numerous Russian attacks in the area of the city of Marinka. The Russian army conducted an airstrike in the area of Krasnohorivka. At the same time, the towns of Hostre, Maryinka, and Pobeda in the Donetsk region were also subjected to Russian shelling.
- On the Shakhtarsk direction, Russian soldiers conducted airstrikes in the areas of Vuhledar and Velyka Novosilka. They shelled the towns of Novomykhailivka, Paraskeviivka, Vuhledar, Prechystivka, and Novoukrainka in the Donetsk region.
- On the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions, the Russian army continues defensive actions. It carried out airstrikes on the populated areas of Vremivka in the Donetsk region, Novodanilivka in the Zaporizhzhia region, and Berislav, Kizomys, and Mala Tokmachka in the Kherson region. Moreover, Russian military conducted artillery shelling on the towns of Olihivske, Malynivka, Huliaipole, Zaliznychne, Huliaipilske, Biloheiria, Shcherbaky, Stepove, and Kamianske in the Zaporizhzhia region, as well as Tokarivka and Kizomys in the Kherson region, and the city of Kherson.
Russian soldiers continue to plunder the population of Ukraine, appropriating the grain harvest of peaceful citizens. In the city of Feodosia, in the temporarily occupied Crimea, the so-called Russian occupation “authorities” are attempting to export the stolen grain to their ports, loading it onto a Syrian vessel Souria under sanctions.
During the day, the Air Force of the Armed Forces of Ukraine carried out 13 strikes on Russian personnel and military equipment concentration areas, as well as 3 strikes on Russian air defense missile systems. Ukrainian soldiers destroyed 1 Iranian strike UAV Shahed and 2 reconnaissance drones.
At the same time, units of the missile forces and artillery struck 5 Russian personnel concentration areas, 3 radio-electronic warfare stations, 2 ammunition depots, and 1 fuel and lubricant point.
Source: The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
See also:General Staff operational report May 15, 2023 on the Russian invasion of Ukraine