The 379th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 09.03.2023.
During the day of March 9, the Russian Federation launched yet another massive missile attack on the critical infrastructure of Ukraine and civilian homes. There were hits, civilians were killed. The Russian army does not abandon its intentions to occupy Ukraine. Having no significant successes on the battlefield, the Russian army continues to use tactics of terror, committing gross violations of the rules of International Humanitarian Law.
During the day of March 9, Russian military launched a total of 84x missiles of various types. 34x missiles were destroyed by Ukrainian troops, another 8x did not hit their targets. Russian troops also launched 12x air strikes, in particular, employing 8x Shahed-136 UAVs. Half of them were shot down.
The level of missile threat across Ukraine remains high.
The Russian army continues its attempts to surround the city of Bakhmut, and to subsequently reach the administrative borders of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts. Russian main focus is the offensive operations on Kupyansk, Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, and Shakhtarske directions.
All maps provided by War Mapper
- Volyn, Polissya, Sivershchyna, and Slobozhanshchyna directions: no significant changes. Russian military units remain stationed on the territory of the Republic of Belarus, but no formation of any offensive groups were found. At the same time, the Russian army continues engineering development of terrain in the border areas of Kursk oblast (Russia). During the day of March 9, Russian soldiers fired mortars and artillery at the vicinities of settlements of Yeline (Chernihiv oblast), Atynske (Sumy oblast), Kozacha Lopan, Strilecha, Krasne, Vovchansk, and Bolohivka (Kharkiv oblast).
- Kupyansk and Lyman directions: the Russian army attempts to break through the defence of Ukrainian troops. Russian troops fired artillery at numerous settlements including Dvorichna, Hryanykivka, Zapadne, Kyslivka, Berestove (Kharkiv oblast), Nevske, Chervonopopivka (Luhansk oblast), as well as Rozdolivka (Donetsk oblast).
- Bakhmut direction: the Russian army does not stop its assault at the city of Bakhmut. Ukrainian troops have repelled numerous attacks in the vicinities of Bakhmut and Ivanivske. Vasyukivka, Mynkivka, Dubovo-Vasylivka, Bohdanivka, Bakhmut, Kurdyumivka, and Maiorsk (Donetsk oblast), among other settlements, were shelled by Russian servicemen.
- Avdiivka and Shakhtarske directions: Russian military conducted unsuccessful offensive operations towards the settlements of Krasnohorivka, Kamyanka, Avdiivka, Sjeverne, Pervomaiske, Nevelske, Marinka, Pobjeda, and Vuhledar (Donetsk oblast). Avdiivka, Vodyane, Heorhiivka, Nevelske, Krasnohorivka, Pobjeda, Vuhledar, Prechystivka, and Neskuchne (Donetsk oblast), among other settlements, were shelled by the Russian army.
- Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions: the Russian army is defending. Russian soldiers shelled the vicinities of settlements near the line of contact, including: Novosilka, Novopil (Donetsk oblast), Hulyaipole, Zaliznychne, Huliaipilske, Mala Tokmachka, Novodanylivka, Novoandriivka, Kamyanske (Zaporizhzhia oblast), Mykhailivka (Kherson oblast), and the city of Kherson.
Russian troops have intensified looting in certain settlements of the temporarily occupied Kherson oblast. They are taking looted property, household appliances from Hola Prystan and Nova Zburivka using trucks that were used to deliver ammunition to their units.
During the day of March 9, Ukrainian Air Force launched 7x air strikes on the concentrations of personnel and military equipment of Russian servicemen.
During the day of March 9, missile troops and artillery of Ukrainian units hit 1x command post, 6x concentrations of Russian personnel, 2x logistics centers, 3x ammunition depots, 1x electronic warfare station, and 1x anti-aircraft missile system at its firing position.
Source: The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
See also: Russian military shelled the capital of Ukraine, there are injured civilians: video