The 392nd day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 22.03.2023.
The Russian Federation continues its armed aggression against Ukraine, focusing its main efforts on attempts to completely capture the Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts within the administrative borders. The Russian army continues to conduct offensive operations on the Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, Marinka, and Shakhtarsk directions. The fiercest battles continue in the southern and northern parts of Bakhmut, and Russian military also carried out offensive actions on the Avdiivka direction in order to establish control over Avdiivka and Marinka.
The Russian army continues to use his usual terror tactics against the civilian population, shelling populated areas and critical infrastructure facilities.
During the day, Russian troops launched a missile attack on Zaporizhzhia, as a result of which 2x Russian rockets hit a residential multi-storey building, there were deaths and injuries among civilians. Russian troops also carried out 41x air strikes. In particular, Russian soldiers used 21x UAVs of the Shahed-136 type from the Bryansk Oblast of the Russian Federation, 16x of these drones were shot down. As a result of Russian UAV strikes, Russians hit the territory of a dormitory of a vocational college in Rzhyshchev in Kyiv Oblast, there were deaths and injuries among civilians, and a critical civilian infrastructure object in Zhytomyr Oblast was damaged. In addition, Russian military launched more than 30x attacks from MLRS.
The threat of Russian missile strikes remains throughout the territory of Ukraine.
All maps provided by War Mapper
- Volyn, Polissya, Sivershchyna and Slobozhanshchyna directions: the operational situation has not changed significantly, the formation of offensive groups of the Russian army has not been detected. The Russian leadership continues to use the infrastructure of the Republic of Belarus to train its troops. The Russian army maintains a military presence in the border areas. During the day, Russian troops shelled the areas of the settlements of Khrinivka, Myhalchyna Sloboda, Chernihiv Oblast; Atynske, Volfine and Popivka in the Sumy Oblast and Basove, Strelecha, Hlyboke and Vovchansk in the Kharkiv Oblast.
- Kupyansk and Lyman directions: the Russian army continues to try to break through Ukrainian defenses. Russian soldiers led unsuccessful offensive actions in the areas of Makiivka and Bilogorivka settlements. The Russian army carried out artillery shelling of the districts of Dvorichna, Kupyansk and Krokhmalne settlements of Kharkiv Oblast; Belogorivka – Luhansk, as well as Kolodyazi and Verkhnokamianske in Donetsk Oblast.
- Bakhmut direction: the Russian army continues to conduct offensive actions, but its offensive potential is decreasing. The Russian army does not stop trying to capture the city, losing a significant amount of manpower, weapons and military equipment. Ukrainian defenders repel numerous Russian attacks around the clock in the areas of Bakhmut, Bohdanivka and Predtechine settlements. Settlements near the contact line, including Vasyukivka, Mynkivka, Hryhorivka, Bakhmut, Ivanovske, Bila Gora, Druzhba, Mayorsk, Zalizne and New York of the Donetsk Oblast, were hit by Russian shelling.
- Avdiivka, Marinka, and Shakhtarsk directions: Russian troops carried out offensive actions in the areas of Novokalynov, Stepove, Berdychi, Avdiivka, Lastochkine, Severna, Vodyane, Pervomaiske, Marinka, and Pobieda settlements without any success. In particular, Avdiivka, Vodyane, Karlivka, Krasnohorivka, Marinka, Vugledar and Velika Novosilka of the Donetsk Oblast were under Russian fire.
- Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions: the Russian army is conducting defensive operations. Areas of settlements near the contact line, in particular, Gulyaipole, Zaliznychne, Gulyaipilske, Biloghirya, Mala Tokmachka, Kamianske of the Zaporizhia Oblast, as well as Havrylivka, Beryslav, Vesele, Antonivka, Dniprovske, and the city of Kherson, were shelled.
In the settlement of Vesele in the temporarily occupied territory of the Zaporizhzhia Oblast, on the territory of the kindergarten, the Russian occupying forces set up a military hospital.
The Russian criminal authorities continue measures for forced passporting of the population on the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine. Thus, in the settlements of the Kherson Oblast, the Russian occupying so-called “authorities” have been threatening local residents since April to stop paying pensions in case of absence of a Russian passport.
At the same time, in the Starobil Vocational College of the Luhansk National Agrarian University, a meeting of teachers was held, who expressed dissatisfaction with the forced passporting of the teaching staff, due to the instruction of the occupying so-called “leadership” of the educational institution, that all employees of the college should receive a passport of a citizen of the Russian Federation by June 1. Teachers are not given the opportunity to resign at their own will. Russian soldiers took measures to forcibly disperse and stop the meetings.
During the day, the aviation of the Defense Forces struck Russian anti-aircraft missile complex, as well as 12x strikes on the areas of concentration of personnel and military equipment of Russian military.