The 391st day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 21.03.2023.
The Russian Federation continues its armed aggression against Ukraine, focusing its main efforts on attempts to fully occupy Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts within their administrative borders. The Russian army continues its offensive operations on Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, Marinka, and Shakhtarske directions. The fiercest fighting is for Bakhmut and on Avdiivka directions.
The Russian army continues to use its usual tactics of terrorizing the civilians, shells residential areas and critical infrastructure.
During the day of March 21, Russian troops launched 4x missile and 24x air strikes, more than 30x MLRS attacks.
The threat of Russian strikes across Ukraine remains.
All maps provided by War Mapper
- Volyn, Polissya, Sivershchyna, and Slobozhanshchyna directions: no significant changes in the operational situation, no formation of offensive groups of the Russian army were found. The Russian leadership continues to use the infrastructure of the Republic of Belarus to train its troops. Russian soldiers maintain its military presence in the border areas. During the day of March 21, Russian military shelled the vicinities of settlements of Khrinivka, Mykhalchyna Sloboda (Chernihiv oblast), Atynske, Iskryskivshchyna, Volfyne, Pavlivka, Popivka (Sumy oblast), Basove, Kozacha Lopan, Strilecha, Hlyboke, Vovchansk, and Velykyi Burluk (Kharkiv oblast).
- Kupyansk and Lyman directions: the Russian army continues its attempts to break through the Ukrainian defense. Russian troops conducted unsuccessful offensive operations towards the settlements of Masyutivka, Novoselivske, Bilohorivka, and Verkhnokamyanske. Russian troops fired artillery at the vicinities of settlements of Krasne Pershe, Dvorichna, Kupyansk, Krokhmlne, Berestove (Kharkiv oblast), Nevske, Bilohorivka (Luhansk oblast), Tors’ke, Spirne, and Fedorivka (Donetsk oblast).
- Bakhmut direction: the Russian army continues its offensive operations, but is losing its offensive potential. The Russian army keeps trying to capture the city, suffering major casualties, losing significant amount of weapons and military equipment. Ukrainian soldiers are repelling numerous round-the-clock attacks of Russian troops in the vicinities of settlements of Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Hryhorivka, and in the northern part of Bakhmut. Vasyukivka, Minkivka, Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Hryhorivka, Bakhmut, Ivanivske, Stupochky, Predtechyne, Chasiv Yar, Kurdyumivka, Ozarianivka, and Pivnichne (Donetsk oblast), among others, came under Russian fire.
- Avdiivka, Marinka, and Shakhtarske directions: Russian military conducted offensive operations in the vicinities of settlements Novobakhmutivka, Krasnohorivka, Avdiivka, Sjeverne, Pervomaiske, Marinka, and Pobjeda, with no success. The vicinities of Lastochkyne, Berdychi, Avdiivka, Tonenke, Heorhiivka, Nevelske, Krasnohorivka, Marinka, and Vuhledar (Donetsk oblast) came under Russian fire.
- Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions: the Russian army is defending. Russian soldiers shelled the vicinities of settlements near the line of contact, including: Novopil (Donetsk oblast), Olhivske, Malynivka, Chervone, Charivne, Hulyaipole, Mala Tokmachka, Novodanylivka, Novoandriivka (Zaporizhzhia oblast), as well as Antonivka and the city of Kherson.
The Russian Federation does not give up its war of aggression, despite the numerous casualties. It is constantly taking actions to replenish its losses in manpower. For example, one of the military units stationed in Krasnodar Krai (Russia) is actively working with its conscripts to get them to sign contracts. The servicemen who agree to sign the contracts are expected to be deployed to Ukraine in August 2023.
During the day of March 21, the Ukrainian Air Force launched 5x air strikes on the concentrations of Russian troops, while Ukrainian missile and artillery units hit 1x ammunition depot, 2x anti-aircraft missile systems, 1x radar station, and 1x other important Russian target.
Source : The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
See also: Drone attack caused explosions at military airfield in Russian-occupied Crimea: video