The 342nd day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 31.01.2023.
Russian federation continues its full-scale aggression against Ukraine. The Russian army does not abandon its attempts to destroy Ukraine’s critical infrastructure, launching strikes on civil targets and civilian residences.
During the day of January 31, Russian troops launched 3x air strikes and 3x missile attacks. They also launched more than 20x MLRS attacks. Civilian infrastructure was damaged in Kharkiv, Donetsk, and Kherson oblasts.
The threat of Russian air and missile strikes across Ukraine remains high.
The Russian army continues its offensive operations on Lyman and Bakhmut directions, suffering great casualties. Russian offensive on Avdiivka and Novopavlivka directions is failing. On Kupyansk and Zaporizhzhia directions, the Russian army is on the defense.
All maps provided by War Mapper
- Volyn, Polissya, Sivershchyna, and Slobozhanshchyna directions: no significant changes, no Russian offensive groups were found.
- Sivershchyna direction: Russian military fired mortars in the vicinities of settlements of Kliusy, Mistky, Huta-Studenetska, Leonivka (Chernihiv oblast), Sopych, Volfyne (Sumy oblast), and Lemishchyne (Kharkiv oblast).
- Slobozhanshchyna direction: the Russian army continues to shell the positions of Ukrainian troops along the line of contact. Russian mortar and artillery shelling damaged the vicinities of settlements of Veterinarne, Strilecha, Hlyboke, Zelene, Neskuchne, Ohirtseve, Vovchansk, Starytsya, Budarky (Kharkiv oblast).
- Kupyansk direction: Russian military fired at the positions of Ukrainian troops near the vicinities of settlements of Ivanivka, Kupyansk, Kyslivka, Kotlyarivka (Kharkiv oblast), Novoselivske, and Kovalivka (Luhansk oblast).
- Lyman direction: the vicinities of Novojehorivka, Nevske, Chervonopopivka, Kreminna, Dibrova (Luhansk oblast) were shelled with mortars and artillery.
- Bakhmut direction: the following settlements came under fire: Verkhnokamyanske, Spirne, Berestove, Bilohorivka, Bakhmut, Ivanivske, Predtechyne, Klishchiivka, Kurdyumivka, Druzhba, and Maiorsk (Donetsk oblast).
- Avdiivka direction: the vicinities of settlements of Berdychi, Tonenke, Syeverne, Avdiivka, Vodyane, Heorhiivka, Marinka, and Pobjeda (Donetsk oblast) came under Russian fire.
- Novopavlivka direction: the vicinities of settlements of Velyka Novosilka, Neskuchne, Novoukrainka, Bohoyavlenka, Vuhledar, and Mykilski Dachi (Donetsk oblast) came under fire.
- Zaporizhzhia direction: the vicinities of 15x settlements were hit by shelling, including Vremivka, Novopil (Donetsk oblast), Malynivka, Hulyaipole, Charivne, Orikhiv, Novodanylivka (Zaporizhzhya oblast).
- Kherson direction: Russian soldiers fired MLRS, artillery and missile systems at the vicinities of 17x settlements, including Zolota Balka, Beryslav, Vesele, Mykolaivka, Tyahynka, Poniativka, Antonivka, Berehove, Yantarne (Kherson oblast), and the city of Kherson. There are civilian casualties.
Russian troops have intensified filtration and counter-sabotage measures in the temporarily occupied territories of Kherson oblast. For example, Russian forces have restricted entry and exit from the settlement of Ulyanivka, conducting searches among local residents and checking their mobile phones.
In Donetsk, the number of cases of particularly dangerous infections among the military personnel of the Russian forces and mercenaries of the so-called PMC “Wagner” has surged. This may be due to the lack of proper sanitary and hygienic conditions in the locations of Russian units.
During the day of January 31, the Ukrainian Air Force launched 9x air strikes on the concentrations of manpower, weapons, and military equipment of the Russian army, and 2x air strikes on the positions of anti-aircraft missile systems.
During the day of January 31, the missile and artillery units of the Ukrainian Defense Forces struck 9x concentrations of Russian manpower and 1x ammunition depot.
Source: The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
See also: Ukrainian troops eliminated 277 Russian soldiers in the Donetsk region