The 451st day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 20.05.2023.
Russian army’s attacks on civilian infrastructure
During this day, Russian troops carried out 3 missile strikes and 56 airstrikes, launching over 40 artillery barrages from multiple rocket launch systems. Civilian infrastructure has suffered damage. Unfortunately, there are casualties and injured civilians, and residential houses and other civilian infrastructure have been destroyed.
The probability of missile and airstrikes across the entire territory of Ukraine remains very high.
The Russian army is concentrating its main efforts on the Kupiansk, Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, and Mariupol directions. Within the day, there have been 39 military clashes in the mentioned areas of the front line. The fiercest battles are taking place in Bakhmut and Marinka.
All maps provided by War Mapper
Operational situation on Ukrainian directions
- On the Volyn and Polissia directions, the operational situation remains unchanged.
- On the Siversk and Slobodzhansk directions, Russian troops carried out an airstrike in the area of the settlement Nesterne in Kharkiv Oblast during this day. They also conducted mortar and artillery shelling on the settlements of Halahanivka in Chernihiv Oblast, Halyshivske, Volfyne, Kyndrativka, Yunakivka, Ugroiydy in Sumy Oblast, as well as Udi, Kozacha Lopan, Ternova, Hatysche, Vovchansk, Pletenivka, Pokalyane, Nesterne, Budarky, Zemlyanky, Ustinivka, and Khatne in Kharkiv Oblast.
- On the Kupiansk direction, Russian soldiers did not conduct offensive actions during the day. They carried out airstrikes in the areas of Kyslivka and Kotliarivka in the Kharkiv Oblast. Russian artillery and mortar shelling affected Topoly, Fiholivka, Novomylynsk, Dvorichna, Zakhidne, Masiutivka, Kyslivka, Kotliarivka, Tabaivka, and Berestove in the Kharkiv Oblast, as well as Stelmakhivka in Luhansk Oblast.
- On the Lyman direction, Russian soldiers did not conduct offensive actions during the day. They carried out airstrikes in the areas of the settlements Yampil and Spirne. Artillery shelling affected Makiiivka, Nevske, Bilohorivka in the Luhansk Oblast, and Torske, Verkhniokamianske, and Spirne in the Donetsk Oblast.
- On the Bakhmut direction, the Russian army continues its offensive operations. Heavy fighting for the city of Bakhmut continues. Additionally, during the day, it conducted unsuccessful offensive actions towards Bila Hora. Russian troops launched missile strikes in the areas of Sloviansk and Druzhkivka, and airstrikes in the areas of Sloviansk, Druzhkivka, Bakhmut, Ivanivske, Bila Hora, and Toretsk. Vasiukivka, Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Hryhorivka, Bohdanivka, Bakhmut, Ivanivske, Chasiv Yar, Stupochky, Predtechyne, and Bila Hora in the Donetsk Oblast were affected by Russian shelling.
- On the Avdiivka direction, the Russian army conducted offensive actions towards Novokalynove, Avdiivka, Severne but did not succeed. During the day, it carried out an airstrike near Avdiivka. Russian soldiers also conducted artillery shelling near the settlements of Novokalynove, Berdychiv, Stepove, Avdiivka, Tonevke, Pervomaiske, Karlivka, and Nevelske in the Donetsk Oblast.
- On the Marinka direction, Ukrainian troops repelled numerous Russian attacks in the area of the city of Marinka. The Russian army conducted an airstrike in the area of Krasnohorivka. At the same time, hostile shelling affected Hostre, Heorhiivka, Marinka, and Pobeda in the Donetsk Oblast.
- On the Shakhtarsk direction, the Russian army conducted unsuccessful offensive actions in the area of Novomykhailivka. Simultaneously, it carried out airstrikes near Vuhledar and Prechystivka. Russian troops also shelled Paraskevivka, Kostiantynivka, Novomykhailivka, Novoukrainka, Vuhledar, and Prechystivka.
- On the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions, the Russian army continues defensive actions. It conducted airstrikes on the settlements of Poltavka in the Zaporizhzhia Oblast and Beryslav and Kyndyik in the Kherson Oblast. At the same time, during the day, Russian military shelled over 30 settlements. Among them are Vremivka, Novosilka, Zelene Pole, Novopil in the Donetsk Oblast; Olhivske, Huliaipole, Bilohirya, Mala Tokmachka, and Kamianske in Zaporizhzhia Oblast; Nikopol in Dnipropetrovsk Oblast; Zolota Balka, Vesele, Lvove, Antonivka, Dniprovske, Veletenske in Kherson Oblast, and the city of Kherson.
Ukrainian aviation srikes and destruction of Russian equipment
The Russian army continues to use civilian medical facilities in the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine for its own purposes. For example, the upper floors of the Lutugino District Territorial Medical Association have been transformed into a military hospital by Russian troops while they left the pediatric department on the ground floor as a cover. Currently, there are about 100 Russian military personnel with injuries of varying severity receiving treatment in the medical facility. This number represents the maximum capacity of the military hospital to provide medical services. At the same time, civilian population is not receiving medical assistance from the staff of the military hospital.
Ukrainian aviation conducted 8 strikes on areas where Russian personnel and military equipment are concentrated during the day.
Units of the missile forces and artillery targeted 4 areas of concentration of Russian armaments and military equipment, 1 ammunition depot, 4 artillery units in firing positions, 1 air defense system, and an additional important target of the Russian army.
Source: The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
See also: General Staff operational report May 19, 2023 on the Russian invasion of Ukraine