The 378th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 08.03.2023.
The Russian Federation has not abandoned its intentions to occupy Ukraine and continues its full-scale armed aggression.
Russian main focus is the offensive operations on Kupyansk, Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, and Shakhtarske directions.
The Russian army continues to violate the rules of International Humanitarian Law, striking and shelling with artillery the civilian facilities and homes.
During the day of March 8, Russian military launched 22 air strikes, and 29x MLRS attacks. In particular, the Russian army used 1x Shahed-136 UAV. The drone was destroyed.
The threat of missile strikes across Ukraine remains.
All maps provided by War Mapper
- Volyn, Polissya, Sivershchyna, and Slobozhanshchyna direcrions: no significant changes. No formation of offensive groups were found. During the day of March 8, Russian soldiers shelled the vicinities of settlements of Senkivka (Chernihiv oblast), Kharkivka, Atynske (Sumy oblast), Strilecha, Ternova, Vilcha, Kamyanka, Dvorichna, and Holubivka (Kharkiv oblast).
- Kupyansk and Lyman directions: the Russian army continues its attempts to break through the defence of Ukrainian troops. Russian military conducted unsuccessful offensives towards Hryanykivka, Spirne, and Bilohorivka. Russian troops fired artillery at a number of settlements. Among them are Vil’shana, Kupyansk, Kyslivka, and Pershotravneve (Kharkiv oblast), Stelmakhivka, Nevske, Chervonopopivka (Luhansk oblast), Novoselivka, Kolodyazi, Dibrova, and Berestove (Donetsk oblast).
- Bakhmut direction: the Russian army continues to advance. The assault on the city of Bakhmut does not cease. Ukrainian troops repelled attacks in the vicinities of Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Dubovo-Vasylivka, Bakhmut, and Ivanivske. Zaliznyanske, Hryhorivka, Bohdanivka, Bakhmut, Kostyantynivka, Kurdyumivka, Ozaryanivka, Dyliivka, Druzhba, and New York (Donetsk oblast) came under Russian fire.
- Avdiivka and Shakhtarske directions: Russian military conducted unsuccessful offensive operations towards Kamyanka, Sjeverne, Pervomaiske, Nevelske, and Novomykhailivka (Donetsk oblast). Russian soldiers shelled more than 15x settlements, including Oleksandropil, Lastochkyne, Avdiivka, Vodyane, Pervomaiske, Karlivka, Heorhiivka, Vuhledar, Zolota Nyva, and Velyka Novosilka (Donetsk oblast).
- Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions: the Russian army is defending. Over 30x settlements near the line of contact came under fire. These include Vremivka, Novosilka, Novopil (Donetsk oblast), Hulyaipole, Zaliznychne, Bilohirya, Mala Tokmachka, Orikhiv, Novoandriivka, Kamyanske (Zaporizhzhia oblast), Zmiivka, Vesele, Mykolaivka, Olhivka, Lvove, Ponyativka, Mykilske, Antonivka, Zelenivka, and Dniprovske (Kherson oblast).
In Kreminna (Luhansk oblast), there has been a spike in the number of cases of eviction of local residents from their private homes by representatives of the so-called local “authorities” established by the Russian regime. The evictions were backed by the Russian military to provide additional accommodation for newly arrived representatives of the Russian armed forces.
The level of dissatisfaction with the commanders’ actions has been reported spiking among those mobilized to the armed forces of the Russian Federation. The main reason for the dissatisfaction is the increasing number of cases of using as assault troops those Russian soldiers who were previously trained to serve in the ranks of support units and have no combat experience. This causes a drastic increase in the number of casualties, and the “base area soldiers” do not agree to go to their deaths.
The Ukrainian Air Force launched 11x air strikes on the concentrations of Russian troops and 1x air strike on the position of Russian anti-aircraft missile system.
During the day of March 8, units of Ukrainian missile troops and artillery hit 1x command post of Russian soldiers.
Source: The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
See also: Ukrainian troops eliminated 115 Russian soldiers and injured 197 in the Donetsk region