The 328th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 17.01.2023.
Russian troops continue their full-scale armed aggression against Ukraine.
Having no major achievements on the battlefield, the Russian army targets peaceful settlements. The Russian army continues to destroy infrastructure and civilian residences, in violation of the rules of International Humanitarian Law, the laws and principles of war.
During the day of January 17, Russian military launched 4x missile attacks, 2x of them against a civilian target in Kramatorsk (Donetsk oblast). The Russian army also launched 13x air strikes. Russian forces launched 23x MLRS attacks.
The threat of air and missile strikes by the Russian Federation on civilian targets across Ukraine remains high.
The Russian army does not abandon its intentions to capture Donetsk oblast within its administrative borders. Russian soldiers focuse their main efforts on offensive operations on Bakhmut axis. Russian forces’ offensive on Avdiivka axis is unsuccessful.
The Russian army is trying to improve its tactical situation on Kupyansk and Lyman axis, while defending on Novopavlivka, Zaporizhzhia, and Kherson axes.
All maps provided by War Mapper
- Volyn, Polissya, Sivershchyna, and Slobozhanshchyna axes: no significant changes, no offensive groups of the Russian army were found. The Republic of Belarus continues to support the Russian armed aggression, the rotation of Russian units undergoing training in the territory of the Republic of Belarus continues.
- The vicinities of settlements of Mykolaivka (Chernihiv oblast), Atynske (Sumy oblast), Veterinarne, Lukyantsi, Starytsya, Hatyshche, Vovchansk, Rybalkyne, Nesterne, Zemlyanky, Bolohivka, Kamyanka, Dvorichna (Kharkiv oblast) were shelled with mortars and artillery.
- Kupyansk axis: Russian military shelled the vicinities of Kyslivka, Kotlyarivka, Ivanivka (Kharkiv oblast), as well as Novoselivske, Andriivka (Luhansk oblast).
- Lyman axis: the Russian army fired the entire range of artillery at the vicinities of settlements of Ploshchanka, Chervonopopivka, Kreminna, Dibrova (Luhansk oblast), Terny, and Yampolivka (Donetsk oblast).
- Bakhmut axis: the vicinities of Verkhn’okam’yans’ke, Vyimka, Bilohorivka, Vesele, Soledar, Krasna Hora, Bakhmut, Klishchiivka, Kurdyumivka, Druzhba, Zalizne, New York (Donetsk oblast) were hit by Russian artillery.
- Avdiivka axis: Avdiivka, Vodyane, Nevelske, Heorhiivka, Marinka, and Novomykhailivka (Donetsk oblast) came under Russian fire.
- Novopavlivka axis: the Russian army fired artillery and mortars at the vicinities of settlements of Vuhledar, Mykilski Dachi, and Prechystivka (Donetsk oblast).
- Zaporizhzhia axis: more than 10x settlements were damaged by artillery fire, in particular Vremivka, Novopil (Donetsk oblast), Temyrivka, Poltavka, Malynivka, Hulyaipole, Mala Tokmachka, Novoandriivka, Shcherbaky, Stepove, Kamyanske, and Plavni (Zaporizhzhia oblast).
- Kherson axis: Russian soldiers do not stop terrorizing civilians. In particular, Antonivka and Kherson were shelled with multiple launch rocket systems, civilians were injured.
Russian attempt to isolate the civilians in the temporarily occupied territories of Kherson oblast from access to alternative sources of information. Along with stopping the broadcast of all Ukrainian TV channels, Russian troops made Russian mobile operators the only available means of mobile communication.
According to the available information, Russian troops are intensifying searches for their deserters in the temporarily occupied territories. Under the pretext of searching for Ukrainian saboteurs, Russian servicemen are conducting raids in the settlements of Kherson oblast.
During the day of January 17, Ukrainian Air Force launched 10x air strikes on the concentrations of personnel, weapons, and military equipment of the Russian army.
Moreover, Ukrainian Defense Forces destroyed 1x Su-25 Russian aircraft.
Ukrainian missile and artillery troops attacked 2x command posts, as well as 1x concentration of Russian troops, 1x ammunition depot, 1x electronic warfare station, and 1x radio-location station.