The 429th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 28.04.2023.
During this day of April 28, the Russian Federation launched yet another massive missile attack on civilian facilities and residential buildings. Unfortunately, there were hits that killed and wounded civilians. Having failed to achieve the desired results on the battlefield, the Russian army cynically continues to use tactics of terror in gross violation of the rules of International Humanitarian Law.
During the day of April 28, Russian troops launched a total of 23x X-101 and
X-555 cruise missiles. Ukrainian soldiers destroyed 21x cruise missiles and 2x operational-tactical level UAVs. The cities of Uman (Cherkasy oblast), Dnipro, and Ukrainka (Kyiv oblast) suffered from Russian missile terror. According to preliminary information, more than 20x civilians were killed, including 3x children. More than 10x apartment buildings and other civilian infrastructure were damaged. The Russian army also launched 28x air strikes and 11x MLRS attacks.
The likelihood of missile and air strikes across Ukraine remains high.
The Russian army is focusing its main efforts on the offensive operations on Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, and Marinka directions. Russian military conducted more than 40x attacks in these areas of the frontline during the day of April 28. Bakhmut and Marinka remain at the epicenter of the fighting, Ukrainian soldiers are bravely holding the line.
All maps provided by War Mapper
- Volyn and Polissya directions: no major changes in the operational situation. No signs of formation of an offensive group.
- Sivershchyna and Slobozhanshchyna directions: the Russian army continues to maintain military presence in the areas of Russia bordering Ukraine. During the day of April 28, Russian soldiers launched air strikes on the settlements of Semenivka and Leonivka. They shelled the settlements of Halahanivka, Leonivka, Buchky (Chernihiv oblast), Romashkove, Vilna Sloboda, Iskryskivshchyna, Volfyne, Obody (Sumy oblast), Morokhovets, Lyptsi, Hatyshche, Volokhivka, Nesterne, and Budarky (Kharkiv oblast) with mortars and artillery.
- Kupyansk direction: the Russian army did not conduct any offensive operations, actively using UAVs to spot for artillery fire. Russian troops fired artillery and mortars at the settlements of Krasne Pershe, Novomlynsk, Fyholivka, Dvorichna, Zapadne, Lyman Pershyi, Synkivka, Kyslivka, Berestove (Kharkiv oblast), and Novoselivske (Luhansk oblast).
- Lyman direction: Russian soldiers conducted unsuccessful offensives towards Bilohorivka. They launched air strikes on the settlements of Nevske, Bilohorivka, Torske, Serebryanka, Spirne, and Ivanivka. Makiivka, Nevske, Dibrova, Bilohorivka (Luhansk oblast), Terny, Verkhnokamyanske, and Spirne (Donetsk oblast) were shelled with artillery.
- Bakhmut direction: the Russian army continues its offensive operations. Battles in the city of Bakhmut continue. In addition, the Russian army conducted unsuccessful offensive operations towards the settlements of Bohdanivka and Chasiv Yar during the day of April 28. Vasyukivka, Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Bakhmut, Hryhorivka, Ivanivske, Kostyantynivka, Oleksandro-Shultyne, Pivdenne, Nelipivka, and New York (Donetsk oblast) suffered from Russian shelling.
- Avdiivka direction: Russian troops conducted offensive operations in the vicinities of settlements of Avdiivka, Sjeverne, and Pervomaiske (Donetsk oblast), to no success. Russian troops shelled the settlements of Novobakhmutivka, Novokalynove, Avdiivka, Vodyane, Pervomaiske and Nevelske (Donetsk oblast).
- Marinka direction: Ukrainian troops repelled Russian attacks in the vicinity of settlements of Marinka and Novomykhailivka. At the same time, Krasnohorivka, Marinka, Heorhiivka, Pobjeda, and Novomykhailivka (Donetsk oblast) were shelled by the Russian army.
- Shakhtarske direction: Russian soldiers did not conduct any offensive operations during the day of April 28. They launched air strikes on Vuhledar, Prechystivka, and Shakhtarske (Donetsk oblast).
- Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions: the Russian army continues to defend. Yet, Russian forces shelled more than 40x settlements, including Hulyaipole, Zaliznychne, Huliaipilske, Bilohirya, Vysoke (Zaporizhzhia oblast), Mylove, Beryslav, Odradokamyanka, Vesele, Antonivka, Kherson, and Bilozerka (Kherson oblast).
The Russian army continues to use educational institutions of the temporarily occupied territories, having them re-purposed as military facilities, hiding behind a human shield of schoolchildren and the teaching staff.
For example, Russian occupation troops are stationed in the building of a local school in the settlement of Lubyanka (Luhansk oblast). The personnel are stationed in the buildings of educational institutions, as they force the teaching staff to continue the educational process, with the attendance of children and teaching staff being mandatory.
Russian troops re-purposed the local hospital in Kalanchak (Kherson oblast) into a military hospital, where a large number of gravely wounded Russians were brought to on April 27. The Russian army used a KAMAZ-based medical truck to transport the casualties.
During the day of April 28, the Ukrainian Air Force launched 4x air strikes on the concentrations of Russian troops and military equipment.
Ukrainian of missile and artillery troops hit 3x command posts, 1x ammunition depot, and 4x concentrations of Russian soldiers.
Source: The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
See also: Russian troops shelled Dnipro with rockets, 2 civilians were killed and 3 injured: photos