Moscow orchestrated an attempted coup during Montenegro`s October 16 election in a bid to stop the country from joining NATO, a Montenegrin prosecutor said Sunday evening, according to POLITICO.
”So far we have had evidence that Russian nationalist structures were behind [the plot], but now also that Russian state bodies were involved at a certain level,” said prosecutor Milivoje Katnic, according to AFP, POLITICO wrote.
”The organs of the Russian state must investigate which bodies are involved and open a criminal trial over these acts,” Katnic added.
Katnic had claimed in November that a criminal network based in Russia, Serbia and Montenegro wanted to ”commit a terrorist act” on election day.
See also: Montenegro PM pro-Russian opposition plotted to kill him, demands explanations from Russia
Montenegrin police in October arrested a group of Serbian nationals, and two Russian suspects are wanted over the alleged plot to seize parliament and assassinate former longtime premier Milo Dukanovic.
Dukanovic`s ruling Democratic Party of Socialists won the October 16 elections, giving the leader his eighth term in power. Dukanovic, who had pledged to bring the country into NATO and the EU, resigned a week later, giving contradicting reasons for his decision.
See also: Organizers of attempted coup in Montenegro participated in Crimea occupation