During a successful offensive on Palmyra, ISIS fighters “captured” Russian army base with a huge number of weapons:
- 36 tanks
- 7 Infantry fighting vehicles (IFV)
- 8 army cargo truck
- 6 122mm cannons artillery
- 7 23 mm twin-barreled autocannons
- Several BPM-97 “Vystrel” – new model of Russian mine-resistant, ambush protected vehicle
- Several hundred AK rifle
- unknown number of mortars
- 500 tonn ammunition for all this weapon
Russian military just left their base, leaving everything without any battle.
— Ibrahim Joudeh (@Ibra_Joudeh) 13 грудня 2016 р.
That sounds unbelievable, but as UaPosition wrote earlier, the real Russia’s enemy in Syria is not the ISIS but anti-Assad rebels groups. Putin just used terrorist threat of ISIS to start bombing rebels position and civilians who can support rebels troops.
See also: Ukraine informs NATO on signs of possible transporting chemical weapons from Syria to Crimea
Now Russia gave a huge arsenal to ISIS and left Palmira area. Undoubtful Putin plans to use ISIS army against rebels troops, pro-USA Kurdish army and possible against his nominally allies Turkey. Isis will use this weapons against Iraqi Armed Forces near Mosul.
See also: The Logic and Risks Behind Russia’s Statelet Sponsorship – Stratfor