: :inin Kyiv (EET)

Section: Atlantic Council (USA)

      Servant of the people or servant of the oligarchs?
      Oct16

      Servant of the people or servant of the oligarchs?

      President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has said he will stay out of the legal battle waged by oligarch Ihor Kolomoisky to get back the bank that he looted. In 2016, Ukraine nationalized PrivatBank, the largest commercial bank in the country, that Kolomoisky co-owned at the time. The president’s response is appropriate in a country with an operating...

      Seven takeaways from Zelenskyy’s marathon press conference (and one surprise)  
      Oct12

      Seven takeaways from Zelenskyy’s marathon press conference (and one surprise) 

      Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy set a world record yesterday. He held the world’s longest press conference for any state leader in history. For fourteen hours, he took questions from nearly 300 international and Ukrainian journalists inside a new food court in Kyiv. UkraineWorld, a partner of UkraineAlert, participated in the...

      Ukraine’s $50 Billion Challenge
      Oct11

      Ukraine’s $50 Billion Challenge

      Ukraine is striving to attract $50 billion in foreign direct investment (FDI) by 2024. Freshly appointed Prime Minister Oleksiy Honcharuk recently announced his government’s highly ambitious five-year economic growth plan to get Ukraine to that number. It’s a grand objective indeed, but doable only if Ukrainian authorities take good...

      Herbst joins CNN to discuss Yovanovitch and the latest with Ukraine
      Oct11

      Herbst joins CNN to discuss Yovanovitch and the latest with Ukraine

      The post Herbst joins CNN to discuss Yovanovitch and the latest with Ukraine appeared first on Atlantic Council. …read more Source:: Atlantic...

      The Atlantic Council In September
      Oct10

      The Atlantic Council In September

      Spotlight of the Month The Atlantic Council celebrated the tenth anniversary of its Global Citizen Awards in New York this week on the eve of the opening of the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly, where global leaders convened to address seismic shifts in our global order—from the emergence of a new era of major power...

      Real talk on Kyiv’s talks with Moscow
      Oct09

      Real talk on Kyiv’s talks with Moscow

      Vladimir Putin has beaten Ukraine. For five years, Russia has occupied seven percent of the country and extracted a staggering 5 to 7 percent from Ukraine’s economy in defense costs each year. To date, some 13,000 Ukrainians have died, tens of thousands have been wounded, and 1.6 million dispossessed. But this is not an absolute victory....

      Mission possible
      Oct09

      Mission possible

      No one doubts that Ukraine’s new Prime Minister Oleksiy Honcharuk is ambitious. Investors got very excited when he announced his initial goals: increase the GDP by 40 percent in five years, attract $50 billion in foreign investment, and add one million new jobs. While challenging, with the backing of a talented, technocratic government and...

      Ukraine’s most vulnerable children deserve a passport, too
      Oct09

      Ukraine’s most vulnerable children deserve a passport, too

      Children born in the occupied territories of Ukraine face a real risk of statelessness. According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, only 43 percent of children born in the non-government controlled territories of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts have obtained Ukrainian birth certificates. The remaining 57 percent of NGCA children born without...

      Securing Northern Europe
      Oct09

      Securing Northern Europe

      On September 20, 2019, the Atlantic Council Northern Europe organized a seminar highlighting the launch of a new issue brief titled ‘Securing Northern Europe: Toward A Comprehensive Approach’. Director for Northern Europe Anna Wieslander and Project Assistant Elin Schiffer presented the report for an audience consisting of invited members...

      Did Zelenskyy give in to Moscow? We don’t know yet
      Oct09

      Did Zelenskyy give in to Moscow? We don’t know yet

      For more than five years, Russia has used its military and proxy forces to wage a low-intensity but still very real war in eastern Ukraine. Newly-elected Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy would like to end that conflict. On October 1, he announced an agreement based on the “Steinmeier Formula” to advance a settlement. Angry crowds took to...

      Pin It on Pinterest